Massage used to be just for wealthy folks who wanted to be pampered or athletes trying to stave off injury. However, it’s growing ever more prevalent as a way to treat all kinds of medical conditions, as well as promote general well being.
More and more studies are revealing that massage has some surprising and immensely beneficial affects on the body and the mind some of these benefits include:
- Massage eases the pain and stiffness of overworked muscles and connective tissues and soothes sore joints.
- Helps to lower blood pressure.
- Boosts the immune system.
- Improves sleep by affecting delta waves in the brain.
- Improves the flexibility and condition of skin.
- Can curb the intensity of headaches,
- Helps cancer patients by lessening fatigue, pain, anxiety, depression, and nausea.
- Moderates depression and anxiety by reducing levels of cortisol (a stress hormone) and boosting serotonin and dopamine.
- Moderates symptoms of PMS.
- Helps to lower stress levels.
- Raises alertness.
- Fosters peace of mind and a feeling of well being.